Monday, January 18, 2010

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." MLK

Together with other Wilder Foundation AmeriCorps Promise Fellows, I took four of my kids from Roosevelt to Central High School's Martin Luther King, Jr. Rally and March.

I was hoping for some really great pics from any number of Twin Cities News Stations, but it turns out the Vikings' game on Sunday makes for better news than one of the most historical men in history. Sorry, Brett Favre, but you have nothing on MLK. Here's a story I managed to find from the Star Tribune.

It was a cold and early morning, but in the middle of the march, G looked at me and said, "Hey, this is actually fun."

"Everyone can be great because everyone can serve."
After the march we all gathered at Wilder for pizza and scarf-making. Since 1994, MLK Day has been a Day of Service, so we decided to make scarves for the Jeremiah Program, serving in St. Paul.

All in all, it was a whole lot more fun than watching TV at home and at least for me, another "awe-ha" moment [a popular Ndub vocare term]. I want to work to end to hopelessness, inequality and injustice. I want love to illuminate in this world, in this country, in this state, in this city...and specifically now, with these children.

1 comment:

  1. my group did work on MLK day as well, I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete