Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I am thankful for...


The Pride of the Dutchmen

The other day, one of my kids asked me if I played any instruments.

I hesitated before saying, Well, yes, actually, I do. I can play the piano, cello and clarinet.

Before I could ask why she'd asked, she squealed, NO WAY! I am playing the clarinet now! I am going to bring my clarinet and you can teach me how to play! Isn't this just perfect?!

I didn't have a chance to warn her that I hadn't touched that thing since high school, or that I only chose to play the clarinet so I could be in the color guard, so when she brought in that small black case today, I cringed a bit.

Sure, the squeaking and three note rendition of Mary Had a Little Lamb got old real fast, but after a while I had to literally hold myself back from putting my mouth on that reed (H1N1) and show her all the notes and scales that I could remember. And remember I did...I taught her the notes and the little sayings to help remember them. I gave her hints to move from G to A and tricks to avoid getting spit everywhere. It was...dare I say, fun.

Here's my Thanksgiving thanks to the music department at MOC-FV and to all those who work hard to keep music in schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment